The military history of Fursten Forest
The military history of Fürstenau dates back to around 1340. At that time, the castle Fürstenau was built to guard the western border. Halfway through the 16th century the castle was expanded into a fortress where 50 soldiers were permanently stationed.
During the Thirty Years’ War, the fortress was occupied by Danish and Swedish troops, among others, before the familiar garrison was restored in honor in 1651.
After the Second World War, Polish soldiers were stationed in Fürstenau, which remained until 1947. Only 12 years later, Fürstenau became a garrison town of the German army. The newly built barracks north of the town were occupied on 30 March 1959 by the tank soldiers of the German Panzergrenadierbataillon 332.